The promise of digital health has not been fully realized and efforts to scale programs and technologies have largely been unsuccessful. The three core barriers to maximizing the potential of digital technologies to improve health outcomes are: lack of coordinated funding aligned to government priorities; lack of support for, and use of, existing open-source technologies (âglobal goodsâ) that could be reused or adapted; and lack of regional leadership and capacity.
Digital Square is a new way to do development. Our approach is to tackle the barriers that prevent digital technologies and systems from scaling. Digital Square's aim is that countries are empowered to develop sustainable national digital infrastructures, supported by coordinated investments, so that governments and decision- makers can access the information they need, when they need it, to ensure better health data and health outcomes for all. In order to achieve this vision, Digital Square will conduct activities to:
- Improve coordination of investors.
- Increase alignment and coordination in the digital health community.
- Increase adoption and reuse of digital health global goods.
- Enhance leadership capacity in low- and middle-income countries for managing regional and country digital health systems.
Digital Square's Governing Board consists of the following organizations:
- DIAL - Jeff Wishnie
- FSG - Kirsten Gagnaire
- GBCHealth - Nancy Wildfeir-Field
- Office of the National Coordinator - Seon Davis
- PATH (ex officio member) â Dykki Settle
- Tableau Foundation â Neal Myrick
- USAID â David Stanton
- Wipro â Jeff Heenan-Jalil